A long-forgotten DC hero will join Mary Marvel for her upcoming adventures away from the Shazam! family.
In DC's The Champion of Shazam!, Mary Marvel replaces Billy Batson as the Earth's premier magical defender. The four-issue miniseries, written by Josie Campbell and drawn by Evan "Doc" Shaner, gives Mary her first solo storyline in over 70 years. However, just because she's the star of her own series doesn't mean Mary's got to go it alone -- the debut issue's solicit text teases the reappearance of Mary's magical mascot, Hoppy the Marvel Bunny.
THE NEW CHAMPION OF SHAZAM! #1
- Written by JOSIE CAMPBELL
- Art and cover by EVAN "DOC" SHANER
- Variant by JOSHUA MIDDLETON
- $3.99 US | 32 pages | 1 of 4 | $4.99 US Variant (Card stock)
- ON SALE 2/22/22
- Mary Bromfield has always struggled to determine who she is outside her family…kinda hard to do when you're all superheroes! Now, after Billy Batson's heroic sacrifice, the power of Shazam has vanished, and she's been left powerless.
- Most heroes would be distraught, but not Mary. It's finally time for a voyage of self-discovery as she prepares for her freshman year of college and a civilian life. But nothing is ever truly normal for this young hero, because she's just been chosen as the new champion of Shazam! (At least according to a talking rabbit sent by her estranged brother Billy.) Will she embrace the power? Or will it die alongside this world's hope of survival against the mysterious magical forces waiting to take control?
- Find out in Mary's first solo miniseries, brought to you by up-and-coming comics writer Josie Campbell (Future State: Green Lantern) and fan-favorite Shazam! artist Evan "Doc" Shaner (Strange Adventures, Convergence: Shazam!)!
Originally introduced in Fawcett's Funny Animals #1, Hoppy the Marvel Bunny is a magical rabbit that joined Shazam! back when he was known as Captain Marvel, teaming with the Marvel Family throughout the 1940s. At the time, Hoppy was popular enough to appear periodically throughout the Fawcett Comics' line of Captain Marvel titles and even gained his own short-lived Hoppy the Marvel Bunny solo series in 1945. Ultimately, the character faded into obscurity along with other "silly" elements of Captain Marvel history when DC folded Fawcett's characters into their continuity. However, The Champion of Shazam! #1 advertises that Billy will send Mary a talking rabbit to keep her company at college, seemingly confirming the return of the hare hero.
The Champion of Shazam! sees Mary Marvel head off to college after her brother Billy sacrifices his magical connection to Shazam! and costs his family their powers. Though she's initially excited to begin her own life and see who she is away from her siblings, Mary quickly realizes she can't escape her destiny when she's presented with the opportunity to step up as a hero in her own right.
Outside of The Champion of Shazam!, the Wizard's former champion Black Adam has stepped up as one of the planet's protectors on the Justice League. His tenure with the team has seen them face off against the likes of Zumbado, the Royal Flush Gang and an entire team of Deathstrokes, but their future looks to hold their biggest test to date. The Justice League's fight against the Legion of Super-Heroes will take both teams into uncharted waters, and given the dark timeline for the wielders of Shazam!'s magic shown in DC's Future State, the series could have dire consequences for Black Adam's fate.
KEEP READING: Shazam’s Justice League Dream Is Destined to Fail Horribly
Source: DC Comics
You May Like Also